Request for Applications
Senior Editor of the European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery
The European Society for Vascular Surgery (ESVS) Publications Committee invites nominations (including self-nominations) for the position of Senior Editor of EJVES, with expected start date in September 2019. An appropriate annual financial stipend is provided for this position and the expected time commitment ranges from 10 to 15 hours/week.
- Working together with the Editor-in-Chief to ensure the smooth running of all editorial responsibilities, including the following :
- reviewing new submissions to ensure that papers are related to
the Journal’s areas of interest.
- Assuming the editorial role, with assignment of peer reviewers and handling of revisions until a final editorial decision for approximately one third of all submitted full text manuscripts (i.e. original articles and reviews).
- Inviting commentaries on important manuscripts
- Commissioning of content linked to “hot topics”
- Contributing to discussions regarding The Journal’s editorial direction, suggesting topics for future papers and editorials and contributing to forward planning ;
- Participating in monthly Editor meetings (by phone, Skype or similar media), in the annual Editorial Board meeting and the annual Editors Journal Development meeting.
- Organising reviewer and/or author training sessions at the ESVS annual meeting and other important meetings, as required
- There is an associated role for the Senior Editor on the ESVS Executive
- The period of appointment is normally 3 years, with progression to the role of Editor-in-Chief usually for another period of 3 years (subject to satisfactory annual performance review)
Core skills, Experience and Qualifications
- Member of the European Society for Vascular Surgery currently working in Vascular Surgery (or a closely allied specialty) and well‐established clinical or academic networks
- Previous editorial training and executive experience as (associate) editor of a scientific Journal using ‘peer review’-assessments
- track record of “peer reviewing” and editing medical scientific papers
- Strong interactive, networking and interpersonnel skills
- Strong publication record
- Excellent command of spoken and written English
- Demonstrable interest in and profound understanding of research methodology and reporting standards
- Demonstrable interest n technological advances, research, quality improvement and standards of clinical practice
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- IT literate with social media skills
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy when engaging with authors
How to apply
Please submit your application, which must include (i) a letter of motivation, (ii) a curriculum vitae (maximum 4 pages) and (iii) a brief summary (maximum 1 page) of your qualifications & eligibility for this post by email by November 7th 2018 to Professor J.D. Beard, Chair of the Board of Directors of the ESVS Publications Company: firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Senior Editor ESVS’ in the title line.
Short-listed candidates will be invited for interview on 11/12 th January 2019 in Barcelona and will be advised at least one month earlier. Reasonable travel and accommodation expenses will be reimbursed.